NORDIC TOBOGGAN SKILLS
BMNSP Home | Candidate Page
REQUIREMENTS | MATERIALS | ASSEMBLY
MATERIALS: Please bring the following to class:
- Assemble Rescue Sled From Skis and Poles
- Secure Patient to Sled
- Transport Head Uphill 50 Meters.(Minimum group of 4 candidates)
- Transport Sled Downhill 100 Meters(Minimum group of 4 candidates)
lashings start and end with a clove hitch.
- "Parachute" Cord (1/8 inch diameter) and knife,
- One 25' piece,
- Three 8' pieces,
- Four 2' pieces,
- Two skis.
- Two poles. (Prefer old non-adjustable type),
- Three sticks. Approximately
1" in diameter and 24" to 30" long. Note: smooth dowels don't work well.
- Blanket or ensolite pad.
Attach the center-stick at the
bindings with two 8' cords, No cords under the skis! Leave a couple feet, on
each cord, to tie on the poles.
- Attach the tip-stick with a couple feet of
each 12' cord using a square lash.
- Attach the pole baskets at the tips
using a little more of each 12' cord.
- Use the rest of each 12' cord to tie
a diagonal cord to the opposite binding with a taut-line hitch.
- Attach the
poles at the bindings with the remainder of each cord.
- Attach the third
stick to the ends of the poles with an 8' cord, using a square lash, No cords
under the skis!
- Create a cradle weave between the poles, using the 25'
- Haul rope attachment, Girth hitch 75' of 7mm rope to the tip-stick,
then run the ends around the center stick.
- Place ensolite foam on the
- Use cravats to hold the patient on the toboggan.
- Option: attach two more poles and another cross-stick for a supine patient, Use
the four 2' cords.
BMNSP Home | Candidate
Page | PageTop